Holy Cross Cemetery and Mausoleum

14611 Mark Messier Trail NW (formerly St. Albert Trail)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

History

Established in 1954 by Archbishop John Hugh MacDonald, this forty-five acre property serves the population throughout the greater Edmonton area.

Clergy, including Archbishops John Hugh MacDonald and Anthony Jordan, along with religious brothers and sisters who have served the Archdiocese of Edmonton, are buried together in an area marked by a large granite cross which also serves as a central feature for the cemetery.

A beautiful lake, home in the summertime to Canada geese, is the central landscaping feature of Holy Cross Cemetery. Shrines are located in each major section, dedicated to various saints and heroes of the faith.

In 1990, an 1100 space Chapel Mausoleum, the first in the Archdiocesan cemetery system, was built at Holy Cross cemetery. This facility contains single and companion crypts and numerous areas of niches for the inurnment of cremated remains. The Mausoleum has been expanded several times over the years in order to meet the needs of the families we serve.

Facilities and Available Inventory

Holy Cross Cemetery permits both bronze and granite flush memorials and has an individual area dedicated for upright monuments. Approximately three acres of the cemetery remain to be developed.

Holy Cross Mausoleum is built to stand firm in the face of time; solid rock (granite, marble and tyndal stone) combined with modern design and engineering skills. Skylights and multi-level windows provide natural light. The expanse of windows allows the colors of the sky and cemetery landscaping to become beautiful backdrops in the building.

This exceptional assembly of quiet beauty, thoughtful design and durability inspires confidence and a sense of peace in those who bring their loved ones to rest here.

Behind the granite or marble crypt cover lies a clean dry chamber constructed of steel and concrete. Each crypt also has its own internal seal, and is designed to provide control over air quality without compromising security.

Through dozens of cultures and across thousands of years, families and communities have marked the passing of those they love and respect by preserving their remains and their names in secure and hallowed places.

A mausoleum (tomb or sepulchre) provides a setting in which a casket or urn can be lodged in security and dignity. Just as important, a mausoleum provides an environment in which the living may honour the dead in accordance with religious and cultural furniture.

Facilities at Holy Cross Mausoleum provide a sacred repository while offering a unique and appropriate setting for both public and private gatherings and services. Arrangements by request.

The Mausoleum contains over 1,500 crypts designed for entombment for full sized caskets; from individual units with space for a single casket and faced with granite, to a dignified Family Chapel with six double crypts in a private chapel which is entirely finished in marble and enclosed with wrought iron gates.

Quoted prices will include the cost of the designated crypt, entombment fee, basic inscription and lamp and future maintenance care in perpetuity.

Holy Cross Mausoleum has over 3000 niche spaces for the entombment of cremated remains. These niches have been configured to meet diverse needs; from a single niche with granite front, to a family space with glass front and space for up to four urns.

Holy Cross Mausoleum also offers a limited number of special niche locations in the chapel area, private alcove rooms and the newly developed special feature niche area. There are multi-sized and multi-use niches in these areas with closed granite fronts and glass fronts that have one, two, or three glass exposures.