7 St. Vital Avenue,
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Established in 1860 by Bishop Vital Grandin, the Oblate Fathers supervised the operation of this cemetery until 1975, when it was handed over to the Archdiocese of Edmonton. The Oblate Fathers retained a section of the cemetery for their own burial space.
The first recorded burial in the cemetery was 10 year old Marguerite, daughter of Raminakus, on June 1, 1861, presided over by Father Albert Lacombe. Although many were interred in the cemetery during its first thirty years, including over three hundred victims of the 1870-71 smallpox epidemic, there are few memorials which predate 1890.
Facilities and Available Inventory
The oldest sections of St. Albert Cemetery have long been sold and hundreds of burials have been made in this four acre facility. Additional space was acquired in 1987 and approximately three hundred additional burial spaces provide both flush memorial and upright monument opportunities.
Casket and cremation ground burial, with flat or traditional upright memorialization; above-ground columbarium niches for cremation inurnment.